[Samba] Picking the right installer

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Sun Oct 7 15:41:19 MDT 2012

On 07/10/12 21:58, Andrew wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I was suggested to use Samba by Plone people, meaning I hadn't heard about it before. It seems to be exactly what I have been looking for for some time, but I obviously am completely blank about Samba, so you will excuse my silly question, please.
>
> I want to install Samba on my server, but after over two hours searching the site, I found there are plenty of very useful documentation, but not enough tips for a newbie like me to start with.
>
> Follows what I have, so you can kindly tell me which installer I must download to start.
>
> Apache Linux server (Arvixe)
> PC running Windows 7 Ultimate with MS Office.
>
> My problem arises from the fact that after all the time spent searching and reading I did not understand whether the installers are recommended according to the server or to the PC-OS. Which one shall I use, please?
>

> Thank you very much for enlightening me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
Hi, this seems to be the third time you have posted this!
I think I understand it now. ;-)

You have a Linux server on which is running an Apache webserver

you have a workstation that is running Windows 7 and some version of
microsoft office

You somehow want to connect the two together with this thing called
'plone' (I have never heard of this myself) and have been advised to use
samba on the server.

Is all the above correct? ,  if so, just how much of a connection do you
need between the workstation and server and what Linux OS is running on
the server.

Rowland

believed to be clean.