[Samba] Roaming Profiles under Linux clients

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 03:14:00 MDT 2012

On 5 October 2012 17:36, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/12 17:21, Michael Wood wrote:
>>
>> On 5 October 2012 13:14, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> It's working here with Version 4.0.0rc3-GIT-56ffe75
>>>
>>> All we do to set up the roaming profile on Linux is to add the attribute:
>>> profilePath: \\server\profiles\steve2
>>> to the user DN entry in LDAP.
>>>
>>> and whilst we're there we also map his windows home directory to his
>>> Linux
>>> home directory:
>>> homeDrive: Z:
>>> homeDirectory: \\server\home\steve2
>>>
>>> Make sure that the profiles share is writeable by the users. We chmod
>>> 1777'd
>>> it.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Steve
>>
>> I've never looked at this and don't need it now, but I'm interested.
>> How is this implemented on client?
>
> [...] Linux clients map whatever the [home]
> share points at to the unixHomeDirectory attribute. The latter can use
> either winbind or nslcd to pull the info from ldap.
> Let me know if you need any more detail.

That doesn't sound like a roaming profile at all.  As far as I
understand it a roaming profile is copied to the client on login and
copied/synced back to the server on logout.  I think that's what Mario
and Denis are talking about.

Is that possible on Linux clients?  If so, how is it implemented?
With csync as Denis asked?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>