[Samba] temporary profiles problem - don't want roaming profiles

Jeff Dickens jeff at seamanpaper.com
Fri Oct 5 15:42:17 MDT 2012

I have a Samba PDC (Ubuntu 12, OpenLDAP 2.4.28, Samba 3.6.3), and at two
remote sites, I have some Samba BDCs.

For now I've manually entered the DCs as WINS servers on the workstations
I'm using for testing.   At the remote sites, I can log in with an account
that has no logon path or logon home specified, and it works perfectly.
 But at the main site, when I try to log on to one of these accounts I get
first get the "can't find the server copy of the roaming profile" and then
"can't find the local profile logging you in with a temporary profile"
errors.  I can't figure this one out.  I'm using the same account, and the
samba setups are nearly identical - just one is a BDC and one a PDC.

This is smb.conf on the PDC:

[global]
        workgroup = SEAMANPAPER
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        map to guest = Bad User
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        smb ports = 137 138 139 445
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = Yes
        rename user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -r '%unew' '%uold'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel '%u'
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p '%g'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m '%u' '%g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x '%u'
'%g'
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g '%g' '%u'
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -W '%u' -t 1
        logon path =
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap passwd sync = yes
        ldap suffix = dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap user suffix = ou=People
        idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
        idmap config * : backend = ldap
        printing = bsd
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[profiles]
        comment = Windows Profiles
        path = /home/samba/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        store dos attributes = Yes
        browseable = No
        csc policy = disable

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /home/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        browseable = No

and on the BDC:

[...]
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins server = 192.168.10.127
[...]

Also notice that my account (which has a roaming profile and works fine at
all sites) has a "sambaProfilePath" attribute and the boris and rpoole
accounts don't.  This should make them no-roaming-profile accounts but it
doesn't work consistently.  It works at the two satellite sites but not at
my main site.

root at grackle:~# ldapsearch -W -D cn=admin,dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com
-H ldap://grackle.intranet.seamanpaper.com -b
dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com "(uid=*jeff*)" | grep Path
Enter LDAP Password:
sambaHomePath: \\wilkins1\home
*sambaProfilePath: \\wilkins1\home\.winProfile*
root at grackle:~#

root at grackle:~# ldapsearch -W -D cn=admin,dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com
-H ldap://grackle.intranet.seamanpaper.com -b
dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com "(uid=*boris*)" | grep Path
Enter LDAP Password:
sambaHomePath: \\wilkins1\home

root at grackle:~# ldapsearch -W -D cn=admin,dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com
-H ldap://grackle.intranet.seamanpaper.com -b
dc=intranet,dc=seamanpaper,dc=com "(uid=*rpoole*)" | grep Path

--
*     Jeff Dickens*
     IT Manager      978-632-1513