[Samba] Internal DNS replication and how to fix

Brett Rowley browley at owneriq.com
Fri Oct 5 08:57:01 MDT 2012

Hi All,

First, off I'm a bit of a n00b w/Samba4 so I'll apologize ahead of time
if any of this seems obvious/trivial.  I'm working with Samba RC1 tar
build and trying to get DNS replication working. Right how I get the
following under

--snip--

==== KCC CONNECTION OBJECTS ====
Connection --
Connection name: fa253d86-3549-4208-ab29-a0d702ccdb02
Enabled        : TRUE
Server DNS name : target.OwnerIQ.local
     Server DN name  : CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=TARGET,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=local
     TransportType: RPC
Warning: No NC replicated for Connection!

I only have one server running W2k3 SP1.  I have trolled Google and read
that both the internal DNS does not replicate some objects and that
dynamic updates are not fully functional.  But, even after reading a
bunch of documents, it's not clear /how/I fix that.  I've read that the
replication is not complete on a additional DC and that it has to be
done manually.  Not sure if that has anything to do with the
"samba_upgradedns" command (which I ran, it complained about not having
a zone file in /usr/local/samba/private/dns but all else seemed well).
I also ran "samba_dnsupdate --verbose" and while that seemed alright, I
did notice:

schema_fsmo_init: we are master[no] updates allowed[no]
Skipping PDC entry (SRV _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.${DNSDOMAIN}

Shouldn't updates allowed be yes if I added "allow dns updates = true"
in smb.conf?  One final note, I do have my resolv.conf pointing to my
Win2k3 as the first DNS server.

My end goal is to replace the 2k3 server with Samba4 so, either way, if
internal DNS is not an option right now because it hasn't matured, I'm
tempted, based on what I've read, to try BIND to get around the internal
problems.  I have that built with Bind 9.8.3 with the following:
./configure --prefix=/var/named --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
--sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
--libdir=/usr/lib
--libexecdir=/usr/libexe --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --with-libtool
--enable-threads  --with-dlopen --with-gssapi

I would be willing to try the switch over but, while it's clear how to
switch the backend (--/dns/-/backend=/BIND_DLZ) when provisioning Samba,
how would I do this from a join perspective? Thanks in advance for any help!

-Brett