[Samba] Picking the right installer

Andrew stray84mail-smb at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 19:28:56 MDT 2012

Hello,

Today, I was suggested to use Samba by Plone people, meaning I Hadn't heard of Samba before. It seems to be exactly what I have been looking for for some time, but I obviously am completely blank about Samba, so you will excuse my silly question, please.

I want to install Samba on my server, but after over two hours searching the site, I found there are plenty of very useful documentation, but not enough tips for a newbie like me to start with.

Follows what I have, so you can kindly tell me which installer I must download to start.

Apache Linux server (Arvixe)
PC running Windows 7 Ultimate with MS Office.

My problem arises from the fact that after all the time spent searching and reading I did not understand whether the installers are recommended according to the server or to the PC-OS. Which one shall I use, please?

Thank you very much for enlightening me.

Cheers,

Andrew

 P.S. This is my first use of this help service. I understand that I must receive a copy, as I've sent this message before, but have not received the copy, I presume it might have got lost. Hence, why I am resending. I hope I am not making a mistake.