[Samba] Difference between Samba and Windows Server properties

jrmailgate-samba at yahoo.co.uk jrmailgate-samba at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 16:16:46 MDT 2012

Hi

Please can someone explain this to me...

On a Windows 7 client connecting to a Samba 3.6.7 server share, opening a file's properties dialog box shows Read-only, Hidden and Archive attributes at the bottom of the General tab.

The same Windows 7 client connecting to a Windows Server share shows the Read-only and Hidden options, along with an Advanced button that displays the Advanced Attributes dialog box with options for archiving, indexing, compression and encryption.

Why is this different?

I understand that Samba (or more precisely, Unix/Linux filesystems) can't handle per-file compression or encryption, but how does the Windows client know this and know not to display the Advanced options?

Is there a setting to get these advanced attributes surfaced in Samba so that (for example), the Index attribute is set, even if the other settings are stored but ignored?

Thanks for any info.

JR