[Samba] Odd Mac OSX 10.6 error on Samba share

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Oct 3 17:56:18 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 12:58:37PM +0100, Peter Lane wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've done quite a bit of research on this one and if I'm honest about the
> cause of this "fault" it's probably because I'm trying to do too much
> "outside the box" :) Nevertheless I enjoy the challenge so here is the
> scenario:
>
> I have a Samba Service (v3.2.5) providing file shares running on Debian 2.6.
> The samba server uses a Windows Domain server for authentication
> There are many shares available from the server and all use the Domain for
> authentication - with each group having an appropriate permission on each
> share (none, read only, read/write)
> All shares are local mount points (except for a new share below)
> I had to "force" the file and directory perms because the macs didn't
> create nice file and directories
> The shares are accessed by Macs and Windows PCs and all has been working
> fine for over a year until...
>
> Here is the change and the problem:
> A new mount point with fstab entry has been added on the linux server
> connecting the linux server to a share on a remote windows server (also on
> the Windows Domain)
> A "service account" has been created on the Windows Domain for the linux
> box to access the windows share - this account has been given full rights
> on the windows share and file system
> A new samba share has been added, settings configured as above, forced
> perms, using the windows domain, etc.
> Windows clients have no issues whatsoever. However, the Macs all of which
> are Snow Leopard do have show stopping issues; When creating a file we get
> this error:
> The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in <FILENAME>
> can’t be read or written.
> (Error code -36)

The Mac finder is the bane of my existence when supporting Apple
clients. We really need to see what operation the Mac client
just did before reporting this error. A debug level 10 + wireshark
trace from the server might help.

It's possible it's doing a "max access" check and not liking the
results.

Jeremy.