[Samba] Secondary DNS - samba 4 domain

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:10:11 MDT 2012

Hi Ryan,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Ryan Whelan <rcwhelan at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I do about setting up a second samba DC as a DNS server?  I have 2
> DCs in the domain (setup via the How-to on the wiki)
>
> If I try to follow the steps I used for the first controller on the second,
> bind won't start because /usr/local/samba/private/dns hasn't been created
> or populated. (I'm using the dlz backend).  Searching the wiki has provided
> nothing.  How to I create the needed ldb zone files?  Do i just copy them
> from the first machine?

It's slightly more involved. First you have to make sure that DNS
partitions are getting replicated between two DCs. If the DNS
partitions are not replicated correctly you won't be able to run DNS
server on secondary DC. Next step is to use samba_upgradedns script to
"fix" the provision on secondary DC and to create the files required
by DLZ backend.

The main issue reported by few users is that the replication fails at
times and I have not yet been able to figure out the root cause of
this. So if you notice issues with replication, let me know.

Amitay