[Samba] Trouble with mount.cifs while smbclient works (Ubuntu 12.04)

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu May 17 19:02:44 MDT 2012

Am Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2012, 20:29:25 schrieb Scott_Purcell at dell.com:
> Modinfo reports:
>
> $ modinfo cifs
> filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-24-generic/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
> version:        1.76
> Specification e.g. Samba and Windows license:        GPL
> author:         Steve French <sfrench at us.ibm.com>
> srcversion:     B869252FD0961045466332F
> depends:
> intree:         Y
> vermagic:       3.2.0-24-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
> parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header).
> Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int) parm:
> cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to 64 (int)
> parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30
> Range: 2 to 256 (int) parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous
> requests to server. Default: 32767 Range: 2 to 32767. (int) parm:
>  echo_retries:Number of echo attempts before giving up and reconnecting
> server. Default: 5. 0 means never reconnect. (ushort) parm:
> enable_oplocks:Enable or disable oplocks (bool). Default:y/Y/1 (bool)
>

> Scott Purcell
> Content Development: Linux, Virtualization, and Cloud Solutions
> Dell | GSD Learning & Development

Hi Scott,

just had a first look at your network trace:
 - negprot     ok
 - sess_setup  ok
 - treeconnect ok  (for shared tree and IPC$)

Then cifs is doing a QUERY_PATH_INFO (query file all info (263))
request on the shared tree (path = ""), which is failing with
STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

In a former post you used:

$ sudo smbclient  //pc************.com/D******NAS2 -A /etc/.smb_creds.txt
Domain=[A*****S] OS=[EMC-SNAS:T5.6.50.205] Server=[NT1]
smb: \> ls training/
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \training\
smb: \> cd training
smb: \training\> ls
  .                                  DA        0  Tue Jan 10 13:17:11 2012
  ..                                 DA        0  Thu Sep  1 11:54:48 2011
  Enterprise                         DA        0  Fri Oct 21 07:03:08 2011
  enterprise_services_offering       DA        0  Mon Jun 13 16:31:21 2011
  Flash_Beta                         DA        0  Wed Apr 14 13:46:40 2010
  Functions                          DA        0  Sat Feb 27 09:47:17 2010
  GCSS                               DA        0  Wed Apr 14 13:46:49 2010

After connect you do a "ls training/" and get access denied, but then you
cd into that subdir and "ls" is working.
Do you _always_ see this behavior?

When you use "ls" directly after connect, do you get some error?

Cheers, Günter