[Samba] Samba4 oplocks: LibreOffice and Word file locking

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Fri May 4 02:03:57 MDT 2012

This could be a hint to establish it: http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3487081/Join-Samba-3-to-Your--Active-Directory-Domain.htm

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
72076 Tübingen

Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
eMail: mueller at tropenklinik.de
Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: steve [mailto:steve at steve-ss.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 4. Mai 2012 09:59
An: mueller at tropenklinik.de
Cc: 'Jeremy Allison'; samba at lists.samba.org
Betreff: Re: AW: [Samba] Samba4 oplocks: LibreOffice and Word file locking

On 04/05/12 09:19, Daniel Müller wrote:
> I do not know exactly what you are trying to do!?
> You have one Samba4 DC-ADS the master!
> One samba3 the file and printserver!?
> Both on a physical host!?

Hi Daniel and thanks for the explanation.

I want s4 on one box and s3 on another. (I can't see a way of having 2 smb.conf on the same physical box, so we separate them.)

Currently I'm administering all this using scripts from the s4 DC under
Linux:
http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/p/s4bind.html

It works fine but the ntvfs fileserver that comes with s4 is rather limited. I want to serve files using the s3 fileserver which supports the Posix options I need. That will be on another box or VM.

> So you just need to let do Samba4 be the authentication and gpo part.

Yes

> The samba3 host has to join as memberserver to the ads of the Samba4.

Yep. I can do that. I already have Linux clients joined to the domain.
But simply to set the realm and so they can get a keytab using net ads keytab create. Nothing else. It's the [global] section on the s3 fileserver's smb.conf I can't work out!

> Point the samba3 server to authenticate users to the samba4.

This is the bit I'm missing. Is this a line in smb.conf on the s3 box?

> For the samba4. Login from your admin PC with ads tools from Microsoft installed:

I have the profile and home drive mappings setup via a script.

> Define the home directories on the samba3 host.
Those would be everything I have at the moment in the s4 smb.conf except the netlogion and sysvol shares? then remove those shares from the s4 smb.conf?

TIA for your patience,
Steve