[Samba] IDMAP dump and restore for second server.

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Wed Mar 21 10:23:37 MDT 2012

Hello all.

I use Samba 3.6.3 on FreeBSD in combination with ZFS, and it all works fine.
I use zfs send to receive my store on a backup machine and i want the users id to be the same as on the master server so to say.
Keeps my backups easy accessable with samba!

Now i know i can dump the IDMAP database using the following: net idmap dump.

I expect a whole bunch of lines,but i get the following, we around  70 users

filer01 ~ # net idmap dump
dumping id mapping from /var/db/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb
GID 150004 S-1-5-11
GID 150005 S-1-5-32-546
USER HWM 150000
GID 150002 S-1-1-0
GID 150003 S-1-5-2
GROUP HWM 150006
filer01 ~ #

Also a tdbdump /var/db/samba/winbind_idmap.tdb gives me a small amount of Lines.

tdbdump /var/db/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb
{
key(11) = "GID 150002\00"
data(8) = "S-1-1-0\00"
}
{
key(9) = "S-1-5-11\00"
data(11) = "GID 150004\00"
}
{
key(13) = "S-1-5-32-546\00"
data(11) = "GID 150005\00"
}
{
key(11) = "GID 150005\00"
data(13) = "S-1-5-32-546\00"
}
{
key(11) = "GID 150003\00"
data(8) = "S-1-5-2\00"
}
{
key(9) = "USER HWM\00"
data(4) = "\F0I\02\00"
}
{
key(8) = "S-1-1-0\00"
data(11) = "GID 150002\00"
}
{
key(11) = "GID 150004\00"
data(9) = "S-1-5-11\00"
}
{
key(8) = "S-1-5-2\00"
data(11) = "GID 150003\00"
}
{
key(10) = "GROUP HWM\00"
data(4) = "\F6I\02\00"
}
{
key(14) = "IDMAP_VERSION\00"
data(4) = "\02\00\00\00"
}

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g as id username all works fine.

The relevant config part (as far as i know)

template homedir = /sanstorage/sambashare/home/%U
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind cache time = 3600
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind separator = |
winbind offline logon = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes
allow trusted domains = yes

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 10000-80000

idmap config DOMAIN1 : backend = rid
idmap config DOMAIN1 : base_rid = 500
idmap config DOMAIN1 : range = 10000 - 29999

idmap config DOMAIN2 : backend = rid
idmap config DOMAIN2 : base_rid = 500
idmap config DOMAIN2 : range = 30000 - 49999

Is there a problem , or am i missing something.
I have been googling a lot, but could not find something related.

Thanks for your time

Regards
Johan Hendriks