[Samba] samba over nfs mount and free space problem

Alex Mestiashvili alex at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Mon Mar 19 08:55:44 MDT 2012

Hi All,

I see a strange behavior with samba server and nfs mounts.

We have a number of shares mounted via nfs on the smabaserver.

When I connect from apple mac computers to a samba share which is an nfs
mountpoint, the free space of the share is reported as zero.
And obviously Finder is not able to copy anything to the share because
it thinks that there is no free space left.
But copy from the terminal works fine!

In case when samba share is a local filesystem everything works just fine.

I tried "max disk size" option, but is didn't work for NFS, but worked
for a local filesystem.
Didn't work means that available space was reported as zero and I
couldn't copy file to the share.
That's why I think that the problem is somehow samba related and not the
apple software.

"dfree command" also didn't help.

Why there is a difference between the way free space is calculated
between nfs and local filesystems ?
And what else can I try to workaround this problem ?

here is the output of smbd -b
http://www.biotec.tu-dresden.de/~alex/smb_build_options.txt

Thank you in advance,
Alex