[Samba] NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION

Peten JP jppemisc at hotmail.be
Thu Mar 15 09:30:38 MDT 2012

Hello, I'm facing the following issue: We have a common storage space available through 2 linux servers running samba.linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
samba: samba-3.0.10-1.4E.12.2 My customer has an exetrnal system accessing the storage through samba. It creates, modify and deletes a lot of files. All access are done through only one linux server (the second is a backup)Sometimes (rarely cases based on the numbers of files managed by this connection), they creates a file that they cannot deleted (even a get of this file is not possible).The way of creating the file is apparently exactly the same as for the all other one that can be deleted. We found that:such a file can be deleted by FTP, directly by linux, ... ONLY when going through CIFS/samba protocol we have a problem to access the filewhen we connect through samba on the SECOND linux server, it works!we cannot find any locks on this file by issuing smbstatus on both linux servers.we cannot find any trace of this file with lsof on both linux serversthe files are always size ZEROthe problem is present using different samba users  smb: \Echange\CoquillesAAF\> get "Jeux Olympiques 2012.aaf"
 NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION opening remote file \Echange\CoquillesAAF\Jeux Olympiques 2012.aaf
 smb: \Echange\CoquillesAAF\>
This is not reproductible on demand... but we are getting regularly non-erasable files If I'm connected to samba through windows explorer, the message is different, but it is probably changed by the windows layer.My samba logs doesn't show a lot of info (log level = 2 --> system is in production) Remark: we don't use the samba clustering Would somebody have any idea? I'm a bit lost in my investigation Many thanks in advance JP Peten