[Samba] Adding to Samba domain requires super-user password

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 06:42:50 MDT 2012

What version of samba?

Do you have the same problems with an XP machine?
Are you able to login as domain administrator on machines already in the
domain?  If you delete the local profile for domain administrator on a
domain client, are you still able to login.  By deleteing the local
profile you make sure you are not logging in with cached credentials.

Can you use the smbclient command on the server to validate that your
Administrator account and password is valid?

Do you have a samba account defined for your root user?   that normally
isn't needed, and wouldn't be in the LDAP backened.

Does pdbedit show your Administrator account?

Did this work prior to a samba upgrade.  I upgrade samba versions at
some point and had problems adding machines.   Since I don't add new
machines very often it took a while to detect and resolve this problem.
Samba had trouble properly creating the LDAP attributes for the samba
machine accounts.

If, when joining a domain,  you get an error that the "the specified
network password is not correct."    Assuming the unix account for the
machine exists, you may need to  recreating a samba account with
smbpasswd  command.

#smbpasswd -x -m machinename
#smbpasswd -a -m machinename

Samba 3.5.x has trouble creating the LDAP attributes correctly.   It
appears to incorrectly set sambaAccountFlags as "[U]" (user) instead of
"[W]" (workstation).   When attempting to join a machine to the domain
you may get an error that the account already exists.  Use an LDAP
editor to make sure  sambaAccountFlags is set to  "[W]."   (You can used
pbedit to verify the setting but not to change it to "[W].")   Your PC
account should have the following entries.

         type:      sambaPrimaryGroupSID
         value:    S-1-x-xx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-515
         type:      sambaAccountFlags
         value:     [W         ]