[Samba] samba PDC/NIS client

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:04:07 MST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't think is this a samba issue.   Samba accounts need to have a
> corresponding unix account.   Shouldn't matter if they are in NIS or
> /etc/passwd.   If you have users in both it could get a problem.
>
> Is "getent passwd" really showing the users from NIS?

Yes.  In fact, for those users who are in both the /etc/passwd and nis
tables, it shows both entries (and the details match between both entries)

 How about "getent shadow" (assuming a linux machine and not solaris,

No, this only shows the users with entries in /etc/shadow. However:
1. getent passwd includes the hashed passwords of users in the nis tables
2. It was not necessary to add the user to /etc/shadow in order to allow
samba domain logins. All I had to do was add the user to /etc/passwd.

> and probably doesn't matter anyway.)   Do you have an /etc/nsswitch.conf
> entry for
>
>    shadow:  files nis

Yes

> Are you missing the : in the nsswitch.conf entries?

No.

> Are your user names all in lower case?  Are they all 8 characters or under.

 Yes.

Simon