[Samba] Samba to share NFSv4 + ACL mounted filesystems on NetApp storage

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Mar 6 09:49:43 MST 2012

On 06/03/12 16:02, Filip Sneppe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running into a problem with a Samba setup and would like to
> know if a current fix or workaround is at all possible.
>
> Our setup is a NetApp filer serving NFS v4 that is mounted by
> Solaris and Linux servers. On those servers we are using Samba to
> create shares of those NFSv4 mounted filesystems. We are migrating
> to this NFSv4 setup from an existing Solaris NFSv3+Posix ACL setup
> that also had Samba shares on top of the NFSv3+ACL mounts.

Hi

We are using Samba4 and nfs3.

We're currently fighting a similar battle over of the nfs list about the
incompatibility-with-everything-else'ness of nfs4 acls. It is not even
possible to get group rw from a 0022 mounted umask. For this reason we
have had to return to nfs3 and keep our posix acls which samba seems to
respect. It is unfortunate that the nfs4 dev's have not listened to end
users. The main aim seems to be to push to nfs4.1 at all costs.

The reply to this post says it all:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg27790.html

'The NFSv4 protocol does not support POSIX ACLs. It has its own
implementation of ACLs that is much more windows-like (yet not exactly
either)'

Maybe you could add an extra voice there?

Cheers and good luck,
Steve