[Samba] allow trusted domains

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Sat Mar 3 02:59:23 MST 2012

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > As written in http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html
> >
> > 	"Where winbindd is not used Samba (smbd) uses the underlying
> > 	UNIX/Linux mechanisms to resolve the identity of incoming network
> > 	traffic. This is done using the LoginID (account name) in the session
> > 	setup request and passing it to the getpwnam() system function call.
> > 	This call is implemented using the name service switch (NSS) mechanism
> > 	on modern UNIX/Linux systems. By saying "users and groups are local,"
> > 	we are implying that they are stored only on the local system, in the
> > 	/etc/passwd and /etc/group respectively.
> >
> > 	For example, when the user BERYLIUM\WambatW tries to open a connection
> > 	to a Samba server the incoming SessionSetupAndX request will make a
> > 	system call to look up the user WambatW in the /etc/passwd file. "
> >
> > My question: if BERYLIUM trusts ANOTHERDOMAIN, and
> > ANOTHERDOMAIN\WambatW tries to open a connection to my Samba server,
> > what user will be looked up in /etc/passwd?
>
> It should be:
> ANOTHERDOMAIN\WambatW

A Unix user with a slash in the login name? Sorry I doubt that because
I have a script in smb.conf:

add user script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd %u -m -Y -M 755

and the script's log shows that those users from trusted domains are
being created as "WambatW", not "ANOTHERDOMAIN\WambatW".

How/where can I see/debug the actual mapping happening?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru