[Samba] speed of samba vs Windows

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 09:19:14 MDT 2012

On Thursday, 28.06.2012 at 11:07 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Todor Fassl wrote:
>
> >Is there any reason to believe that a samba server would be slower
> >when serving up roaming profiles than a real Windows server?
>
> In my experience, Samba is much faster than Windows on comparable
> hardware. From 3 to 5 times faster, depending on function.
>
> >Our Windows guy insists samba is slow but I don't believe it.  He
> >claims that when you load a roamng profile, Windows downloads only
> >files that have changed and samba downloads everything. But he
> >doesn't know anything about samba and I don't know where he got that
> >from.

However native speed won't be important if, under Samba, a full roaming
profile is downloaded on each login whereas under Windows an rsync-like
action takes place to only download minimal changes.  I don't know
whether that's the case or not, whether it's configurable behaviour
under either Samba or Windows Server, but it's certainly an interesting
point.

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford / Cancer Research UK
N 51.7516, W 1.2152