[Samba] Samba 4 provisioning error on Ubuntu 12.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Fri Jun 22 09:18:58 MDT 2012

On 21/06/12 12:30, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 21/06/12 10:16, steve wrote:

>>> Hmm, this is interesting, this is what I have in my /etc/fstab on
>>> Ubuntu 12.04 server
>>>
>>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>>> # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
>>> UUID=63c10807-be9a-4aed-bf2f-fa52e53fc162 /               ext4
>>> errors=remount-ro 0       1
>>> # /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
>>> UUID=3826e336-978b-43e6-b02f-83694b132ed3 /home           ext4
>>> defaults        0       2
>>>
>>> cat /proc/mounts
>>> Shows:
>>> /dev/disk/by-uuid/63c10807-be9a-4aed-bf2f-fa52e53fc162 / ext4
>>> rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>>> /dev/sda6 /home ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>>>
>>> This passes the acl test on
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO even though acl is not
>>> mentioned (it is installed) and Samba4 from git compiles and
>>> installs ok.
>>> Do I need to add acl to my /etc/fstab lines? user_xattr seems to be
>>> a default setting.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> Hi Rowland
>> My Samba4 is installed at /usr/local/bin on the / partition of the
>> disk so I added acl,user_xattr to the / line in fstab and rebuilt
>> with libacl1-dev installed, having read a post on the Ubuntu forum.
>> Before this, I had the same s3fs error when provisioning.
>>
>> /proc/mounts here gives the same output as yours so It looks as if
>> the acl parameter is not needed, but no harm in trying. Are you able
>> to reboot if you change fstab? If my memory server me correctly,
>> remounting didn't work.
>>
>> Sorry can't be more positive.
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>
> Well, I could try adding acl to the relevant /etc/fstab lines but as I
> said Samba4 compiled, installed & provisioned without complaining
> about it being missing. The acl test from the howto was passed on the
> relevant partitions, so I am wondering if I do need to alter my
> /etc/fstab.
> Is there anybody out there, with more knowledge than me, who can
> confirm one way or the other?
>
> Rowland

Well, after a bit of thought and downloading the kernel source from
Ubuntu, I am answering my own question.

This is from the source file for the kernel that Ubuntu 12.04 uses
(3.2.0-25)

It comes from "Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt"

nouser_xattr        Disables Extended User Attributes. If you have extended
                             attribute support enabled in the kernel
configuration
                             (CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR), extended attribute
support
                             is enabled by default on mount. See the
attr(5) manual
                             page and http://acl.bestbits.at/ for more
information
                             about extended attributes.

noacl                   This option disables POSIX Access Control List
                             support. If ACL support is enabled in the
kernel
                             configuration (CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL),
ACL is
                             enabled by default on mount. See the acl(5)
manual
                             page and http://acl.bestbits.at/ for more
information
                             about acl.

If I run:
cat /boot/config-3.2.0-25-generic | grep CONFIG_EXT4
I get:
CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
# CONFIG_EXT4_DEBUG is not set

I would suggest that, as I thought, you do not have to add anything to
/etc/fstab to get acl's, in fact you have to add something to turn them off.

Rowland

believed to be clean.