[Samba] Migrating to new hardware

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:06:53 MDT 2012

Run "testparm -v" -  you will probably want to copy over the
/var/samba/locks directory

        lock directory = /var/samba/locks
        state directory = /var/samba/locks
        cache directory = /var/samba/locks
        pid directory = /var/samba/locks

You also want to make sure your netlogon and profile directories are
replicated.

I ran into some issues migrating from 3.0.x to 3.4.x.  I am not sure if
these changes are already in placed in 3.2.x.  In 3.4.x. I needed to
explicitly defined a unix "nobody" user.

        guest account = smb_nobody

I also had to explicitly grant admin perms to the domain admins group so
that they had sufficient privileges on local PC's.  But I think I had
made some error somewhere else, so I don't think you will encounter this.

I have an ldap backend, and I found with 3.4.x or 3.5.x. that joining
the machine to the domain had some issues relating to ldap attributes
being created or set properly.