[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jul 4 11:56:45 MDT 2012

On 04/07/12 18:12, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>> On 03/07/12 10:18, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 18:20 +0200, steve wrote:
>>>

> NFS and autofs buys you some very, very useful things. One is that it
> can support multiple upstream NFS servers, which might help distribute
> the load for 2500 users. Another is that by automounting a set of
> subdirectories, instead of one large master share, you can tune the
> settings of those mounted directories for security. Another is that
> you can mix NFSv3 and NFSv4 for environments that need TCP based
> access or Kerberized authentication for fileshares. Another is that
> unused material is not mounted and can be deleted or re-arranged on
> the fileserver, which is priceless when managing 2500 accounts with
> 2500 home directories.
>
> But with 2500 users, and hundreds at a time connected, it's maybe time
> to think about running the CIFS fileshares directly on the NFS
> *servers* and get the Samba clients out of the way Why introduce a
> layer of complexity with a Samba client on top of NFS if the
> fileserver can do it directly? And if it's too much for one
> fileserver, maybe it's time to think about splitting up fileservices
> anyway.

Hi Nico
Yeah, we have to stick with the automounter. Having 2500 home
directories held up for only 80 (max) users can't be a good idea.
Without a cluster, I can't see how we could deploy multiple NFS servers
though. We have 2 replicating DC's one of which is the fileserver.
  How nice it would be if we could replicate the data over to DC2 and replicate the fileserver and it failedover if necessary.

Cheers,
Steve