[Samba] TS licensing problem on samba domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 29 18:08:12 MST 2012

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 12:02 -0500, Ludovic Rouse-Lamarre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have recently joined a Windows Server 2008 R1 on our samba domain as
> a domain member. The samba domain controller runs Samba version 3.4.9 on
> FreeBSD 8.2.
>
> We use the Windows Server as a terminal server for our domain users who
> need an accounting application called Acomba. Therefore we have added TS
> User CALs to the server in question. The TS Licensing Server was
> activated and the licenses were installed succesfully.
>
> The problem comes when we use the Licensing Diagnosis tool inside the TS
> Configuration application. It then reports that it cannot find the TS
> Licensing Server and that we are still within the grace period.

> I have also called Microsoft and they have confirmed to me that this is
> a technical issue and that the licenses are correctly installed. I get
> the feeling however that when I tell them I use a Samba domain
> controller they won't be of any help.

Microsoft has gone to great technical lengths to support Samba3 domains.
It may well be that some functionality of Microsoft products relies on
an AD domain (which we are providing with Samba4), but do not assume
that they will be hostile.

If they claim an interoperability issue, we can refer that to the group
within Microsoft that specifically deals with interoperability issues
for us.

Andrew Bartlett