[Samba] Samba 4 and GSSAPI kerberos ldap connect

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Wed Jan 18 13:56:22 MST 2012

> On 01/17/2012 09:40 PM, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> See comments inline:
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use kerberos to authenticate to Samba 4 ldap. At the
>>> moment, I authenticate by specifying the binddn and password in
>>> /etc/nslcd.conf and all works fine
>>>
>>> If I add the line:
>>> sasl_mech GSSAPI
>> That should suffice, but please note, that nslcd should also have access
>> to some kind of keytab, to authenticate itself.
>> This is done on Debian/Ubuntu via the /etc/default/nsldcd.conf (mine is
>> looking like):
>>
>> # Defaults for nslcd init script
>>
>> # Whether to start k5start (for obtaining and keeping a Kerberos ticket)
>> # By default k5start is started if nslcd.conf has sasl_mech set to
>> GSSAPI
>> # and krb5_ccname is set to a file-type ticket cache.
>> # Set to "yes" to force starting k5start, any other value will not start
>> # k5start.
>> K5START_START="yes"
>>
>> # Options for k5start.
>> K5START_BIN=/usr/bin/k5start
>> K5START_KEYTAB=/etc/krb5.keytab
>> K5START_CCREFRESH=60
>> K5START_PRINCIPAL="host/$(hostname -f)"
>>
>> And must have k5start installed (it is wrapper which keeps fresh tickets
>> for long runing services)
>>> to /etc/nslcd.conf
>>> and restart nslcd, no one can connect to the database. Nothing works.
>>> ldapsearch and getent passwd draw a blank.
>>>
>>> ldapsearch -x -b '' -sbase supportedSASLMechanisms
>>>
>>> gives me:
>>>
>>> dn:
>>> supportedSASLMechanisms: GSS-SPNEGO
>>> supportedSASLMechanisms: GSSAPI
>>> supportedSASLMechanisms: NTLM
>>>
>>> but ldapsearch -Y GSSAPI gives:
>>> SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
>>> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)
>>>      additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:
>>> Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
>>> (Server not found in Kerberos database)
>>>
>> before you can do an SASL/GSSAPI based ldap operation you must have
>> valid kerberos tickets (so do a kinit first)!
>>> and Samba gives:
>>> Kerberos: TGS-REQ Administrator at HH3.SITE from ipv4:192.168.1.3:56859
>>> for ldap/hh3.site at HH3.SITE [canonicalize, renewable]
>>> Kerberos: Searching referral for hh3.site
>>> Kerberos: Returning a referral to realm SITE for server
>>> ldap/hh3.site at HH3.SITE that was not found
>>> Failed find a single entry for
>>> (&(objectClass=trustedDomain)(|(flatname=SITE)(trustPartner=SITE))):
>>> got 0
>>> Kerberos: samba_kdc_fetch: could not find principal in DB
>>> Kerberos: Server not found in database: krbtgt/SITE at HH3.SITE: no such
>>> entry found in hdb
>>> Kerberos: Failed building TGS-REP to ipv4:192.168.1.3:56859
>>>
>>> I've tried making a ldap principal but samba-tool spn doesn't let me
>>> add an ldap principal.
> [...]
Hi,

First of all /etc/host.keytab shouldn't be writable. But that is a
different story.
On the other hand kerberos could get confused by having a host principal
for the realm name (I've seen your realm is named HH3.SITE and your host
principal is host/HH3.SITE). I would create a special
nslcd-domain-account and extract the keytab for it, and use that
account+keytab. Or if you prefer create a host account for each host you
have and extract a keytab for each of them. The example I've sent you
uses the second method ($(hostname -f) returns the fqdn (if it is set in
/etc/hostname, a common mistake is to have just the first part set in
that file).
Another possible error sources could be:
K5START_PRINCIPAL="host/HH3.SITE -f"  <- You definitely don't need a -f
there!
I wouldn't use a binddn with an sasl bind.

Regards

Geza