[Samba] Set primary group of file on samba share from windows

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Mon Jan 9 07:20:13 MST 2012

From: Hubert Kario <hka at qbs.com.pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:53:26 +0100

> > As far as I examined there is no way to display/change the owner group
> > of files via Samba. Also in Samba 3.x, we cannot set any groups to
> > an owner of a file.
> >
> > I think it's difficult to implement because Windows does not have the
> > semantics of "owner group".
>
> While displaying it is impossible (or at least non obvious), setting it using
> the change owner dialog is quite logical (one displayed by clicking
> Permissions from RMB menu, Security tab, Advanced button, Owner).

You had better discuss samba-technical ML about improving Samba
feature.

In Samba4, group ownership is supported because Samba4 abandoned to
keep interoperability with permission/ACL of UNIX filesystem in order
to get full-compatibility with Windows NTFS.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>