[Samba] APW and Windows 7

Mike Vallabh mike at waikato.ac.nz
Tue Feb 7 16:07:09 MST 2012

Hi,

I have set up my samba server as a print only server.  Nothing specific
is wrong.  The print server is working but I have a couple of questions
about using APW to install printer drivers and Windows 7.

Linux server: Centos 6
Samba version: 3.6.3 - Default install (./configure; make && make install)

I did the usual,
net use \\myprinter\print$ /user:root

Browse to \\myprinter.  In my case a Windows 7 (32-bit) client shows 41
print queues.  I then click on "View remote printers" which takes me to
the place where I can actually install the drivers for each queue.  Now,
I don't see 41 queues.  If I refresh the page I see 31 queues.  On other
Win7 clients I see more or less queues.  My "temp" solution is to
shutdown the samba server, remove the cache (rm -rf
/usr/local/samba/var/locks), restart samba and all is well - for a while
at least.  It's clearly not a solution, but it does work.  Can anyone
tell me how this list is generated?

Also, once you've installed a printer driver via APW (i.e. right click
print queue/Properties/Advanced/ New Driver), the name of your print
queue gets changed to the name of the driver after successful
installation.  I had the same problem on my old samba 3.0.33 samba
server, so I know you can just refresh your window and then get
Properties on the newly named queue and simply rename it.  What I
haven't figured out (but have managed to work around) is that when you
install the driver via APW, it presents a list of Manufacturers and
Printer Models.  If I do the above from a Win7 (32-bit) client
everything works as you would expect.  If however I do the above from a
Win7 (64-bit) client I do not get presented with the
Manufacturers/Models window.  Instead the "drivers" windows says "No
drivers found for your device".  Does this have something to so with how
the Windows Active Directory views \\myprinter as either a 32-bit or
64-bit server when I joined it to the domain?

smb.conf for reference

[global]
    server string = CMS Print Server
    netbios name = MYPRINTER
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    log level = 5
    security = ads
    realm = MYDOM.COM
    workgroup = MYDOM
    domain master = no
    name resolve order = host
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
    cups options = raw
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups

[print$]