[Samba] Joining Active Directory & wbinfo -u

Aaron E. ssureshot at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:36:52 MST 2012

I'll take a wild stab at this one though someone will probably correct
me.. I have not set up winbind4 but this is my take on it..

First, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file and verify that you have
something similar to the following.. winbind needs to be there to work..
Unless it's changed in winbind4.

passwd:         files ldap winbind
group:          files ldap winbind
shadow:         files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Second,, I would probably go with samba3 if it isnt' going to be your
DC.  It would work just fine.. You'll just need to set up your smb.conf
to properly join the domain with winbind settings to connect to an AD
Domain with the nsswitch file setup properly.