[Samba] How to migrate Active Directory from one Samba4 server to another

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 13 01:47:35 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 22:03 +0200, X-Dimension at gmx.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are using a Samba4.0.0alpha19 (Resara 1.1.2) based domain controller in a small production environment and because the Resara development has ended we want to switch to a plain Samba4 beta based Ubuntu 12.04/Zentyal Server.
> I have installed and configured the new server with the same domain-name and the same hostname like the old server.
> How can i export the Active Directory from the old server and import it to the new Samba4 server?

Something like this (unstested):

Use a different hostname, then run 'samba-tool domain join' to join it
to the first domain.  Then you can use the
source4/scripting/bin/renamedc script to rename it back to the name of
the first DC, after running 'samba-tool domain demote' on it.

You may need to seize FSMO roles from one DC to the other with
'samba-tool domain fsmo'.

> Do i need to rejoin the clients to the domain, after this?

No.

Additional complications may include DNS configuration.  You may need to
use --dns-backend=none on the join command.

This is just a series of hints to get you started.  Hopefully you can
work it out from here.

Andrew Bartlett