[Samba] unable to configure NTP server in samba4

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:17:29 MDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM, deepak prasad <deep27ak at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was trying to configure NTP server in my samba4 server but it's not working. I am using CentOS 6.3 (32 bit) for my samba4 server.
>
> I installed ntp using yum and the ntp version is 4.2.4
>

> added this line in /etc/ntp.conf
> restrict mynet mssntp
> signdsocketdir /data/samba/samba4/prefix/var/run/ntp_signd/
>
> and restarted the ntpd server but my clients are not syncing with the server time
>
> Then I removed ntp package using yum and installed the tar package of ntp from ntp.org version 4.2.6 and compiled using
> --enable-ntp-signd
>
> but after this I am not sure what to do as I don't see any ntp.conf.
> Can anyone please tell me what am I suppose to do now?

Stop there. There's historically been no good reason for NTP to be a
signed service, especially if you're restricting NTP services to a
local VLAN anyway. Start with it *unsigned*, and turn off the
restrictions. \verify that it's up with tools like "ntpdc -l", and
verify that ntptrace to the localhost and to the remotely designated
NTP servers is working correctly.

Simply slapping in a more recent version hand-built may work, but it's
not a production grade solution. That 'signdsocketdir' option is not
in the documentation for the NTP 4.2.4. Do you actually need that
feature for sme reason?