[Samba] Samba4: net ads join fails: Host is not configured as a member server. [SOLVED]

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Aug 2 04:05:43 MDT 2012

On 02/08/12 11:03, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>> I'm trying to join an Ubuntu 12.04 client to a 12.04 Samba4 DC. xp and
>> win7 clients can join fine.
>>
>> Here is my minmal smb.conf
>> realm = POLOP.SITE
>> workgroup = POLOP
>> security = ADS
>>
>> Kerberos is working:
>> kinit Administrator
>> Password for Administrator at POLOP.SITE:
>>
>> But then it tell me that the DC is _not_ a DC:
>> net ads join -UAdministrator
>> Host is not configured as a member server.
>> Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
>> Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of
>> the domain.
>>
>> and:
>> net ads testjoin
>> Failed to open /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb
>> Join to domain is not valid: Access denied
>>
>> Can anyone help me tell the Ubuntu client that it really _is_ a DC? Or
>> WHY.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
> Hi,
>
> The most probable reason is having different versions of samba binaries
> installed. Using net ads ... suggests the use of samba3 client tools
> installed from packages, the path /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb
> suggest a Samba built from source via ./configure && make && make
> install (which corresponds to a Samba4 install)
>
> Regards
>
> Geza Gemes

Hi Geza
Thanks so much.

Yes, we had both the Ubuntu 3.6 and the 4.0 beta on the same test box.
Our m$ guy had had a go with S4 and obviously succeeded without telling
me. To be fair, I should add that it was upon my encouragement.

Conclusion. Samba4 is so easy to install that even a windoze admin can
do it;-)

Cheers,
Steve