[Samba] 'x' bit always set?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Aug 1 07:54:56 MDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 03:59 AM, NdK wrote:
> Il 30/07/2012 09:40, NdK ha scritto:
>
>> > Seems I can't find the root cause of $subj.
>> > When I store a file on my "home", it gets chmodded ugo+x ...
> Any hints?

See the documentation for "map archive".[0]

Essentially, the DOS/Windows "archive" bit is mapped to the POSIX user
execute bit.  This makes it possible for DOS/Windows backup software to
be able to use the archive bit.

It might behoove Samba to implement DOS/Windows file attributes in user
extended attributes, or in a database file, as opposed to (ab)using the
owner execute bit for this purpose.  However, it has been this way for a
long time, and I would expect that inertia will overcome the desire for
change here.  I could be (and hopefully am) wrong.

Personally, I would not mind seeing Samba use extended attributes for
storing file attributes that do not logically map onto POSIX.

	--- Mike

[0] http://is.gd/dQSeGw [www.samba.org]

--
Michael B. Trausch