[Samba] SMB2 write performace slower than SMB1 in 10Gb network

Sat Apr 28 00:58:56 MDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 01:46:35PM +0800, Zhiming Zhou wrote:
> I use Iometer to test normal file read/write performance,
> at first, SMB2 is not enabled,test 1MB sequential read/write performance
> with SMB1, I got 610 MB/s write performance which
> is really good, while read performance is just 280 MB/s.
>
> Then I change "max protocol" to "SMB2" in smb.conf to enable
> SMB2, other configs in smb.conf are not changed, restart samba,
> reconnect in Windows 2008, use Iometer to run test again, I got
>  470 MB/s write performance and 505 MB/s read performance.
>
> It's quite good that read performance bursts with SMB2, but
> write performace droped by 140 MB/s, I run this write test
> serveral times again, write performance indeed droped a lot,
> so is it normal that SMB2 write performance is slower than
> SMB1?

No, this is not normal. Maybe you want to enable async I/O.
Depending on the platform, plain aio might work with

aio write size = 1

It might be a good idea to also enable

vfs objects = aio_fork

With latest Samba Jeremy Allison has also added the
aio_pthread module, but that is not yet in released code.
You can get it from the latest v3-6-test branch in our git
repository.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de