[Samba] Samba 3.0.33 works, 3.5.4 doesn't

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Thu Apr 19 08:20:53 MDT 2012

I'm trying to get AD authentication working on a RHEL 5.4 base system

I can wbinfo -[ug] and getent {passwd|group} with 3.0.33  Everything
appears to work just fine, except I could not actually authenticate...
I'd always get failed password.  A lot of Googling turned up a bug that
indicated that it was impossible to get 3.0.33 to authenticate against a
W2K8 AD, so I installed 3.5.4  Same smb.conf, same krb5.conf... but I
cannot join the domain.  net ads status works, but net ads join tells
me:

Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'MY.DOMAIN'
over rpc: Invalid workstation

Googling that error leads to a very few responses, none of which help
me.  What is the "invalid workstation", and how do I make it valid? :-)

smb.conf:

[global]
  workgroup = MY
  password server = 192.168.2.22