[Samba] samba print server - unable to change "advanced" settings from a client machine 3.5.6

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:03:01 MDT 2011

Hello,
I'm having trouble replacing our old print server (debian sarge) with a new
one.
When I enable print$ and force user root and give access to nobody, the
print$ share is working properly. I can create delete, add files etc from a
windows xp machine.  What I need now is being able to "go to printers and
faxes, right click on the printer, go to advanced, and click new driver"
(this would upload the driver to the server. Unfortunately this does not
work as "advanced" or any other settings are grayed out for me. The config
files have same settings so I'm not sure what is the problem here. It works
on my old server but it does not work on a new server. Samba version: 3.5.6
:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   guest ok = yes
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   write ok = yes
   write list = nobody, root
   force user = root

Could somebody point me into proper direction here? Am I missing a
permission? setting? how do I give access to everybody or "nobody" guest
account to make changes??

Thanks,
Lucas