[Samba] Problem after updating 3.3 to 3.5

John W jwdevel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:53:32 MDT 2011

Hi,

I recently updated my Samba from 3.3 to 3.5, and while that worked
fine, I can no longer access my shares - it asks for a password, which
fails even if I do enter a correct one.

Here is one of my shares - very simple, I think:

[myshare]
   comment = My Share
   path = /path/to/myshare
   public = yes
   read only = yes
   writable = no
   browseable = yes
   printable = no
   guest ok = yes

At the top of my file, I have defined:

   guest account = smbguest

Which is an account I created.

Are there any gotchas when switching from 3.3 to 3.5 that might explain this?

Everything was working fine before.

I have tried from both a WinXP machine and from smbclient, and neither succeeds.
In the smbclient version, it asks for the password of the current
logged in user, and if I enter that password, I still get failure
(NT_STATUS_PIPE_BROKEN).

Any ideas?

Thanks
-John