[Samba] Strange permission problem when mounting a share

Fabrice fabriceaemail-list at yahoo.fr
Sun Sep 4 09:10:41 MDT 2011

Hello,

I already tried one of your suggestion before as part of my testing.

When I mount the directory with the command line below, the behavior I
described earlier does not change : I got a "Permission denied" and the file
is created anyway.
*$ sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 //
127.0.0.1/public/Pictures /home/myuser/Pictures/*
$ cd Pictures/
*$ touch test3.txt
touch: cannot touch `test3.txt': Permission denied
$ ls -lrat
-rwxr-xr-x  1 nobody  nobody         0 Sep  4 11:02 test3.txt*

However, there is an improvement with your other suggestion. The file
permissions are still incorrect, but at least, I do not not have the "
Permission denied"  anymore
*$ sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,noperm
//127.0.0.1/public/Pictures/home/myuser/Pictures/
$ cd Pictures/
$ touch test.txt
$ ls -lrat
**-rwxr-xr-x  1 nobody  nobody         0 Sep  4 10:55 test.txt*

What puzzles me are the 2 different behaviors when I access the share
directly with my file explorer (Dolphin) and when I do it through a mounted
directory. Everything works as it should in the first case. So it would led
me to assume that my basic setup is correct and that the problem lies with
cifs.