[Samba] Adding a machine acount

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 13 05:22:10 MDT 2011

On 13 October 2011 08:47, Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:
> Al 12/10/2011 13:33, En/na Dermot ha escrit:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I migrated from an MS NT Domain to a samba3 domain some time back. I
>> forgot about a couple of machines and am trying to add them. These are
>> Buffalo NAS workstations so are basically *nix machines with a web
>> interface.
>
> Most probably the web interface only allows to join an AD domain (at least
> that's what happens to a Lacie network drive, I suppose Buffalo does the
> same).
> Even obtaining shell access and manually configuring samba to join the
> domain wouldn't work (the stock firmware would rewrite the configuration at
> every boot), so the only option is to replace the stock firmware with a
> normal Linux distribution (usually debian), provided there's one available
> for your model and you can find instruction on how to do it (e.g. at
> nas-central.org).
> If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it, not only will you void
> your warranty, you can also lose all of the data in it.

I have two buffalos. The newer one's interface (TS-XL/R5) provides
fields for giving an Domain Admin username and password. I had no
trouble adding that to the domain. The older model doesn't provide
those fields so I have to try and add them on the samba PDC. It has
options for Workgroup, NT Domain and ADS.

I know you can hack Buffalo's with acp_commander. I've telneted into
the terastation and modified the /etc/samba/smb.conf and changed
workgroup to my new domain and security to domain . There is a net
binary so I did `net rpc join -S SAMBAPDC`. It says I've joined the
domain successfully but the web interface still says I'm in a
workgroup (I left the old domain). I know that everything will revert
back to once I reboot but I'll have to settle for this for now.

What would have been useful, would be to have worked out if there was
anything on the sambaPDC that could have corrected this error:

_netr_ServerAuthenticate2: netlogon_creds_server_check failed.
Rejecting auth request from client FOOBAR machine account

Thanks,
Dermot