[Samba] samba 3.60 vs Windows 7 and a PDC replacement

Jorell JorellF at fastmail.net
Wed Oct 12 22:45:45 MDT 2011

All Samba 3.x are NT-Style Domains (requires NetBIOS) and Samba 4 is
Active Directory Services (ADS) (requires DNS).
Samba 3.x cannot also be a domain controller with windows servers,
however Samba4 can also be a domain controller with windows servers.
Chances are your Windows Server is Active Directory Services.

here is some light reading:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4_joining_a_domain
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO