[Samba] Grant computer account access to share?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 09:28:55 MST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Chris Weiss <cweiss at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Microsoft application (SCCM) which I need to grant access to
> > a samba share, however the service which reads the files can only
> > authenticate using the computer account, there is option to configure
> > it to use a domain account.
>
> do you mean to say that it's a windows service that's Log On tab is
> set to local system?  because "authenticate using the computer
> account" isn't a "thing".  A windows service running as local system
> does not have permissions to access network resources at all.  This is
> a windows restriction, you have to have the account log on as a local
> or domain user if you want it to be able to access the network.

On a Win7 64bit windows system, bits and "Windows Update" both run as
"Local System" and i can guarantee you i have had numerous reboots the last
few weeks to finish applying updates.  You are probably confused by User
Account Control changes. Like he said, COMPUTER$ can be added on a Windows
share.  The windows security descriptor language may be needed for some
services.  See "sc.exe sdset /?"

man smb.conf may not be up-to-date like the web page configuration that
enumerates all the current parameters.  Going totally from memory, i
believe there was an option in the samba webpage program that allows you to
configure computer account access for a share.  Sorry, blanking on the
package name.