[Samba] samba4 & ldap?

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Fri Nov 18 11:24:55 MST 2011

On Thu, November 17, 2011 13:34, John Heim wrote:
> I am confused... Using an ldap server as a backend for samba4 is not
> recommended? We are primarily a linux shop. We have an ldap database we
> use for authentication. I can't use that anymore if I switch to samba4?

If you don't need to emulate Active Directory, then you should probably
just stick with the Samba 3.x series. Samba 3 emulates NT-style domain
membership and for simply single-password/login infrastructure it should
be sufficient.

Samba 4 is a bit more ambition that that.

Hopefully/Perhaps one day it will support LDAP back-ends more readily, but
considering it's still in beta (alpha?), I'd guess such functionality is
barely on the TODO list (assuming it's even technically possible).