[Samba] samba + Heimdal + windows

brijesh patel bridgepatel at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 13 20:53:29 MST 2011

Hi,

I am sure someone may have already asked this question but i can't find any useful documentation about this.  I would like to use our existing kerberos (openldap) setup to authenticate users against windows machines.  So far i have managed to authenticate users against ldap password with samba but i don't have any success if i use kerberos with samba.

Here is my kerberos related part of smb.conf file

[global]
        workgroup = TEST
        netbios name = pdc
        security = user
        enable privileges = yes
        interfaces = 10.0.0.1
        server string = Samba Server %v
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        realm = REALM
        client use spnego = yes

I have created a key for samba server called cifs/test.com.

FYI i haven't done any configuration on windows client( do i need to do anything on those machines?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Brijesh