[Samba] XP Clients Showing Incorrect Filenames

Andy Theuninck gohanman at gmail.com
Fri May 27 10:01:36 MDT 2011

I'm seeing something fairly odd where XP clients show some - but not
nearly all -filenames as a random jumble of characters. The files are
still perfectly accessible; if I tell windows manually what the file
type is, they'll open.

I don't think it's a character set issue. Affected filenames contain
alphanumeric characters (a-zA-z, no accents or anything outside
ASCII), periods, and hyphens. It doesn't seem like any sort of
client-side caching. I tried a couple different client machines that
have never accessed the share before and they see the same incorrect
names. This seems to happen only in directories with a large number of
files (500+), but that could be coincidental. The problem always
affects a handful of files in the directory rather than all files.

The odd file names all look like "AH6I10~Z". Besides the tilde always
being 2nd to last, the other characters don't have any consistent
mapping to the actual file name.

Samba 3.0.33, CentOS binaries