[Samba] Where is the winbindd_idmap.tdb?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri May 27 07:09:21 MDT 2011

Check the man page for idmap_rid.

        The idmap_rid backend provides a way to use an algorithmic mapping
        scheme to map UIDs/GIDs and SIDs. No database is required in
this case
        as the mapping is deterministic.

I think it calculates the uid and gid, rather than just assigning uid
and gid values sequentially as needed.  Therefore you don't need the
database to track the allocations.  You would have a cached file for
performance tho.

the id command (e.g. id "MYDOMAIN\myname" ) should verify that winbind
users are getting an id allocated.