[Samba] Upgrading system on file server

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:43:32 MDT 2011

The samba private directory may hold saved passwords used by samba to
authenticate with LDAP.  the lock directory will hold various TBD
files.  Some of them are caching files.  Some of the them may store
group map information (that should be in LDAP) or idmap allocations (if
winbind allocated unix uid's and gid's for samba accounts.)

I don't know what the Samba vers are with Suse 9.3 vs 11.3.   But you
should definately plan on needing several hours to work out things that
break.   I found that when going from Samba 3.0x. to 3.4.x.