[Samba] XP Clients not closing file

Stefan Lubitz Stefan.Lubitz at mackevision.de
Thu Mar 17 09:14:30 MDT 2011

Hi all,

since a few weeks we have a very strange behavior.
It happens from time to time that some XP Clients are not closing the "filehandle" on the Samba Server.
If I want to rename a file or see the permission of it, my XP Client stops responding. After some minutes or sometimes hours, the File will be accessible again.
I can use smbstatus to see which client keeps the file open (smbstatus -L | grep filename). If I kill the process or reboot the Client which keeps the File open, I can rename the file again.
This Error appears after the following changes:

1.       Move the XP Clients to an ActiveDirectory Domain (w2k8)

2.       Use new Network Switches
And it appears on different Samba Servers (some authenticate to AD some to an old LDAP).
Hopefully someone has an Idea what could be wrong.........

I am using Debain Systems (one Ubuntu Server).
Samba Version 3.0.24 and 3.4.7 (on the Ubuntu)

This is my smb.conf:
netbios name = storage2
workgroup = HURTSAPPL
wins server = 192.168.105.50
server string = Storage Server 2 (%v)
hosts allow = 192.168.
security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = PDC
interfaces = 192.168.102.2/24 192.168.101.2/24 192.168.103.2/24
bind interfaces only = yes
log level = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%U
max log size = 10000