[Samba] Working simultaneously with the same user account

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 06:50:17 MST 2011

Are you using a domain (PC's are in the domain and user accounts are in
the domain not on each PC) or a workgroup (each user account is defined
on his or her own PC.)    If the PC's are domain members then you should
just be able to have all the users in a group and the group has access
to that common share.

If the PC's are in a workgroup, the user can map a drive letter to each
share- this can be a persistent drive mapping that stores the
credentials.  However, my experience has been that you can not connect
to two different shares on one server, each with a different
credentials.  At least this is the case when connecting from an XP Pro
client.

E.g.

net use x: \\server1\share1 /user:jsmith
(that will work)
net use y: \\server1\share2 /user:rsmith
(that will fail with a warning that you are already connected to the
server with different credentials.)