[Samba] Porting CTDB to Solaris

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Jun 28 07:41:02 MDT 2011

Hi Kai,

Kai Lanz wrote:
> We wanted to try out clustered Samba on a pair of small OpenSolaris/
> Intel
> boxes. But after downloading the CTDB source from the Samba git
> repository,
> I discovered that it won't build on Solaris -- the configure script
> supports
> only Linux and AIX.
>
> Is there a Solaris port for CTDB, or is somebody working on one? (If
> not,
> I might take a crack at it; would it be a straightforward port?)

AFAIK, noone is working on it.
If I am not missing something, this basically consists in writing
the OS-specific part for the network routines under
common/system_xyz.c

Please check out master from git://git.samba.org/ctdb.git

I guess we should/could use the samba libreplace system to
make the network layer portable.

But there is more to it than extending the C code:
There is a set of event scripts under config/events.d which are
actually linux-only (using linux commands like "ip" ...).
To my knowledge these only work under linux, not under aix either.

So, if you want to have a go at fixing CTDB for ctdb, then
you are highly welcome! We will gladly review and help.

Out of curiosity: What file system are you planning to use on the
cluster?

Cheers - Michael