[Samba] howto cache 'root' password for net commands?

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sun Jun 19 21:34:11 MDT 2011

I have a minorly complicated root password that is hard to type correctly,
quickly....yet samba 'seems' to be  encouraging me to create a
simple one in order to do managagement on the server via 'net'....

I don't like to type the password more than once, the more times I type it,
the more times it can be either monitored, or seen, or whatever...

So am I doing something incorrectly in my server management -- because
one has to run as 'root' to manage things with the net command, so you've
already typed in the password -- but then it asks you to type in the password
again.

Even windows save credentials under your login....so why is 'net' re-asking
me root's password, when it knows I am running as root?   (when I don't, it
says most things won't work (and they don't)....)...so how to cache?

Or is there some setting I've munged to create this problem for myself?

(certainly not inconceivable... ;-) )...