[Samba] WINS and browse list on multiple subnet architecture

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Tue Jun 7 10:55:07 MDT 2011

From: samba tmpmbox <samba-list at tmpmbox.no-ip.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 16:00:48 +0200

(snip)

> Now, the idea is to make computer on each subnet must see computer on
> the other one with the help of WINS and master roles.
>
> I don't make this works.

Simply to set below and try:

WINSGW
Global section :
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    wins support = yes
#    remote browse sync = 192.168.53.253
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = no
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 65

 WINSGW2
Global section :
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    wins server = 193.168.52.253
#    remote browse sync = 192.168.52.253
#    remote announce = 192.168.52.253/WORKGROUP
    local master = yes
    domain master = no
    domain logons = no
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 65

You do not need to set "remote browse sync" nor "remote announce".

Several years ago I examined this setting against Samba 3.0.x (perlaps
3.0.7) and worked well, although I have not yet examined with Samba
3.5.6.

Remember that you need to configure that Samba server (not Windows)
must be a LMB on each subnet or set DMB as PDC to set "domain logons =
yes".

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>