[Samba] Samba vs Linux file permissions

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jun 3 09:36:11 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:27:26AM -0400, John Maher wrote:

> On 06/03/2011 10:15 AM, Robert W. Smith wrote:
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> No luck with these changes.  I just posted in another reply that if I
> change permissions of the directory /home/chemgroup/username from this:
>
>    drwxr-x---
>
> to this:
>
>    drwxrwx---
>
> the user username can write just fine via Samba.
>
> Just to verify that file system ACLs are not in play, I show the
> following for that directory:

Samba converts whatever permissions you have (ACLs or just
regular mode bits) into a Windows ACL and checks against that
for delete access at open time. We used to do it at delete
time and just return the error if the delete failed (which
is the POSIX correct way), but Windows apps break if you
don't report the delete error at open time (that's just
the Windows way). Check the mapping to ensure the access
the application wants is being returned from those mode bits.

Jeremy.