[Samba] Very slow write performance to RAID

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Jul 26 01:52:00 MDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 19:51 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 00:32 +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> > Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >

> > > Test using a modern (i.e. much later than 3.0.33) smbclient.
> > >

> > To back that up he is using CentOS 5, so there is no excuse for using
> > such an old version. Needs to switch to the samba3x packages that have
> > been present since CentOS 5.5 asap. From recollection it is getting on
> > now for a year since CentOS 5.5 came out which gave you version 3.3.8 in
> > the samba3x packages and CentOS 5.6 bumped that to 3.5.4, which has been
> > out for several months now.
> >
> > For those that say upgrade to CentOS 6, you won't get any newer samba as
> > the samba3x packages in CentOS 5.6 are at the same level as the samba
> > packages in CentOS 6.
>
> FWIW RHEL 6.1 has a newer version with a ton of patches on top.

Indeed you make the massive jump to 3.5.6 :-) Compared to moving off
3.0.33 this is small and I would expect RHEL/CentOS 5.7 to switch to
this version as well when it is released.

I would note however that all the RHEL/CentOS versions of Samba have a
bunch of patches over the official releases.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.